Cheerful givers are constantly on the lookout to find additional ways to bless others and honor their God. They’ve learned the secret of giving generously and cheerfully. Sometimes there are other, out-of-the-box ways we can give. If God has blessed you this is your chance to give back by honoring him with your material blessings. In that spirit here are a few suggestions.
“I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you with all joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now…” Philippians 1:3-5 (NKJV)
These are usually gifts that require advance planning during the donor’s life (but what a sense of excitement during the planning!). For that reason and for everyone’s best interests we encourage you to consult a tax or financial planner, or maybe your attorney, as well. A planned gift is simply a gift made from one’s assets to any qualified charity (we are a registered 501.3.c organization). In many cases, a planned gift can be made without negatively impacting your current income, and may even create some financial advantages for you when viewed within the context of your overall financial plan.
Some examples of planned gifts include:
- Designate Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church as a beneficiary on your life insurance or retirement plan (all or part)
- Bequest in your will a portion of your estate to Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church
- Make a deferred gift through a living trust
We invite you to prayerfully consider a planned gift to Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church
In the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30) Jesus teaches that it is important to be good stewards of what has been entrusted to us. We should invest our assets in something that will reap a good return on investment. What can be a better return on your investment than something with eternal significance? You can leave a lasting legacy.
Gifts of Appreciated Securities
Gifts of appreciated securities are another creative option. Some generous givers find that giving appreciated stocks are an option. There are usually some specific tax benefits for the donor by avoiding capital gains taxes and receiving an income tax deduction. Please consult your financial advisor if a gift of appreciated securities works for you. Not only do you usually get the tax benefit, the church can sell the shares of securities tax-free.
In order to realize the financial benefits of your gifts, you or your brokerage firm will need to transfer the stocks directly into an account set up for Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church. SREFC’s policy is to sell the securities upon you transferring them, thus making the proceeds immediately available for funding.
Please follow the procedures outlined below to assure the prompt and efficient transfer of securities to Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church’s account.
- Notify your broker that you want to transfer stock to SREFC through our brokerage account. This is an electronic process so the DTC number below works like a bank’s routing number. Here’s a sample request letter
- You can provide your broker with the following information:
- Stock name, number of shares to be transferred, your account number
- SREFC’s brokerage firm:
DTC No. 0701
SREFC’s Account No.: 74175484/FBO Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church
- Contact: David Kling, CTFA (307) email@example.com
- Recipient information:
Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church
- PO Box 1759
Laramie, WY 82073-1759
Contact: ATTN: Jeff Smith
- It is important to us that we be able to appropriately thank you for your gift and acknowledge the giving for your tax purposes. Because the documentation that is provided to our broker does not include the contributor’s name, the only way we can know who gave it is if you contact us. While we appreciate your desire to remain anonymous, we encourage you to take advantage of the benefits of this type of gift as a good steward of your resources. We will happily keep it confidential from there if that’s what you desire. Please call Mark Vaporis to inform him of your gift or mail him a copy of your stock transfer letter. We will do the rest.
Please Note: The Internal Revenue Service date of delivery for gifts of stock is the date that ownership of stock is transferred to the organization. The date of delivery for a gift of transferred stock using a broker is defined as the date the wire transfer arrives in the organization’s brokerage account. Please make an extra note that at year-end, it is important all parties know the arrival of the wire transfer is the event which determines date of delivery, not the day the broker is contacted with instructions to transfer the stock.
Sometimes people want to make a gift to Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church in memory of a loved one. Your expressions of gratitude, love and remembrance helps further what God is doing through SREFC.
Gifts in memory of specific persons should be clearly designated as such in writing along with the gift. The funds are deposited into Snowy Range’s general fund unless you specifically designate otherwise. If the family desires that a designated fund be established for a specific purpose in memory of a person, please contact the church office at 307.742.0153.