Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church Wedding Policy
Welcome and Congratulations! Please read this information carefully so that you are certain you are comfortable with our policies and beliefs.
In order to reserve a wedding date you will need to:
- Contact the church office and fill out the application forms.
- Your requested wedding date will not be confirmed until after you have an initial meeting with and approval by one of our pastors.
- The office will verify that your date is open and reserve it when your deposit is received.
The Reasons Behind Our Marriage Policy:
Here at Snowy Range Evangelical Free Church (SREFC) we believe strongly in marriage and hold it in high regard. Hebrews 13:4 says, “Let marriage be held in honor among all.”
Marriage was God’s idea and not only did he define what marriage is, he has given guidelines in his Word to keep the marriage relationship strong. Genesis 2:24 tells us, “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.”
Jesus reaffirms this in Matthew 19:4-6, “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”
Because of these teachings, we believe that God created marriage to be between one man and one woman for life.
We will faithfully follow this scriptural definition of marriage in the teaching and practices of this church. Therefore we will not officiate, solemnize, perform or host a marriage or marriage-like ceremony involving anything other than the union of one man and one woman as instituted by God.
Our church views the wedding itself as a ministry and not merely a ceremony. Thus we perform weddings primarily for those who are regular attenders of our church. Additionally, both persons must be confessing Christians, or both must be non-believers who are willing to have a God honoring ceremony (2 Corinthians 6:14). SREFC pastoral staff cannot in good conscience perform a wedding for a couple if they believe one person is a Christian and the other is not.
If you are divorced, we will ask about the circumstances before we agree to perform your ceremony.
We believe it is best to prepare couples as well as we can for their life together, and so, couples who want to be married at SREFC must participate in premarital counseling. The purpose is to assist couples in assessing their readiness for marriage. This will include clarifying the beliefs, values, strengths, and behaviors each individual brings to the relationship. It also seeks to resolve any present conflicts or weaknesses, and to develop the insights and skills needed to meet potential tensions or conflicts in the future. It may also address other areas of concern that arise.
This process will normally require 4-5 meetings with the pastor performing your ceremony or someone he designates. Because of the time commitment necessary to complete these sessions, requests for a wedding in our church should be made a minimum of 6 months in advance.
It is our belief that sexual abstinence before marriage is God’s design for each couple, and that living together or involvement in sexual impurity before marriage significantly increases the likelihood of divorce. We want your marriage to have the greatest degree of success, so we require couples to agree to abstain sexually and to live separately until their wedding day. This will create the space necessary for you to maintain needed boundaries to do your premarital counseling well.
If you do not agree to this, our pastoral staff reserves the right to withdraw from the process and not perform your ceremony. Your reservation for the use of the church may be cancelled as well.
We will allow services conducted by pastors not from our church, but any ceremony in our sanctuary needs to be consistent with the values and beliefs of our congregation and approved by our senior pastor or elder board.
Please understand that this process is not intended to be a rigid system. There will always be situations that create exceptions. These guidelines have been carefully constructed to provide the best possible preparation not just for your wedding day, but for a lifetime of marriage. Please talk to one of our pastors concerning any exceptions.
- Please treat our facility with care.
- No weddings are scheduled during December or two weeks prior to Easter.
- Saturday weddings need to be concluded by 6 p.m. to allow for cleaning and setup of the facility for Sunday morning worship services.
- The deposit is non-refundable. Any final fees are due two weeks prior to your wedding.
- In sensitivity to the wishes of the congregation, no smoking or alcoholic beverages are allowed anywhere on the church grounds.
- No rice, bird seed, potpourri, aerosol shooting string, etc. may be brought or thrown in the building or on church grounds.
- The couple is responsible for any and all damage to the building or its contents which may occur during the event.
- Permission must be received before moving any furniture or property before or after the event.
- No pets are allowed in the building except for official service animals.
- You are responsible to communicate these guidelines to your guests.
We are sorry but SREFC cannot accommodate wedding receptions.
SREFC can accommodate some video and slide presentations. Please have the officiating pastor approve your show one month prior to the wedding. This allows time to submit the media to our tech person with enough time to review it and make sure that it is compatible with our computers and equipment. SREFC does not offer audio or visual recordings of wedding ceremonies.
Wedding programs cannot be designed or printed at SREFC.
- The use of a candelabra requires the use of carpet protectors, or you may use battery operated candles.
- Before decorating please discuss your plans with your pastor. Only temporary decorations that do not cause damage are allowed. You may decorate one day in advance of your wedding if there are no scheduling conflicts.
- Fresh flower petals may be used in the center aisle of the Worship Center if you use an aisle runner. Otherwise, only fake flowers may be used.
- Aisle runners are not provided by SREFC.
- We recommend all flower deliveries arrive a minimum of 2 hours before your ceremony begins.
We are blessed to have talented musicians and vocalists at SREFC. We can provide a list of them for you to contact for your service. The music for your service is your responsibility and you need to contract with them personally.
- All musical selections need to be approved by the officiating pastor prior to making your final arrangement.
- SREFC is unable to provide any instruments for your wedding except for a piano.
- If you are using a musician/vocalist from outside SREFC, they will need to arrange a time to practice before the evening of the rehearsal.
It is your responsibility to have your marriage license by the time of your wedding rehearsal. This can be taken care of at the Courthouse in downtown Laramie.
We encourage you to take photos or video of your wedding. To prevent distractions during the ceremony, the photographers should be unobtrusive and not become “part of the ceremony.” In no case will they be allowed to be physically present on the platform. If there are any questions about this please ask your pastor.
A sound technician is required for your wedding. He or she will be present at your rehearsal and wedding. There is a fee for this work.
Rehearsals should only take about one hour. Plan to run through the ceremony two times with the officiating pastor and wedding coordinator if you have one. Everyone in the bridal party should attend this rehearsal.
Summary of Wedding Fees:
- Building Usage – Sanctuary and dressing rooms for Bride/Groom – Members cost is $250, Non-Members cost is $500
- Audio-visual technician fee – $25 per hour
- Additional Custodial Fees if necessary – $50 per hour
It is customary to pay an honorarium to the pastor, singers or musicians. This needs to be arranged when you ask them to participate in your ceremony.
A deposit of $250/$300 (members/non-members) will be collected at the time the reservation is made. The remainder of the payment is due two weeks before your wedding.
**This policy is subject to change without notice.